One of the things I feel strongly about is that a build/release pipeline needs to be as completeas possible - that is all configuration required to complete the build/deploy process needs to be automated in some way or another. And as we will see from todays post, this tends to create further complexity, and unfortunately sometimes we have to get inventive for a process to work…
Recently someone got in touch with me about one of my earliest posts. I realised I had made a mistake on that post and had updated. But I also realised that the script itself is actually part of a PowerShell module. So wanting to make things as easy as possible, and being the helpful guy that I am, I have altered that example into a script which I am posting here.
It’s worth stressing that the errors that output to the console are fairly generic, and that there is a log file that will contain all the information if there are any errors.
When deploying our Ispacs through my builds, I’ve still been getting the intermittent “timeout” issues I first wrote about back in May, and this has been exacerbated by extra SSIS Projects added to the SSISDB catalog.
Continuing with my automated database deployment series, this post touches on the build.publish.xml file that is used to script and publish a SQL Server 2012 project in Visual Studio. This step is necessary as we will need this file in our automated build.
No WiX Wednesday this week, owing to commitments in real life. Instead, here is something regarding SSIS 2012 Deployment. Enjoy!
As part of our CI and Test Builds we have automated the deployment of two SSIS Projects. One is fairly large and the other one contains only two dtsx packages. Recently we have been getting timeout issues with the deployment of the solutions.
In Visual Studio 2012, the old Data Dude projects have been replaced by SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT), which encompasses a list of improvements to database development in Visual Studio that was formerly known by the codename “Juneau”. When SSDT was first released there were several issues with compatibility levels, but has improved greatly since the December update.