Microsoft’s announcements during the Keynote yesterday was like waiting for buses: you wait for one, then 17 appear all at once:
In case you don’t have 2 1/2 hours spare to watch yesterdays Keynote, I made some notes:
- Microsoft’s development ideology is : any developer, any app, any platform.
- GitHub is growing; last year there were 5,000 new projects per day, now it’s 10,000
- Contributors are also growing: last year 1,000 per day, now it is 2,000 per day.
- If you want proof that Microsoft is fully embracing the Open Source community, they are the top contributing company on GitHub. More than Google, Facebook, Docker….
- Microsoft is an official platinum partner of the Linux Foundation.
- Microsoft have been contributing to the Open Source community:
- 2008 Microsoft contributed to Hadoop
- 2009 contributed to Linux kernel
- Azure support Redhat/Ubuntu OS
- VSCode/.NET Core now open source. 18,000 contributors to .NET Core, most not MS.
- In short, mobile development with Xamarin looks very exciting.
- Visual Studio Mobile Center leverages VSTS to build mobile apps.
- Also runs tests on real-live mobile devices.
The list goes on and on. IT was truly a day of big announcements from Microsoft.