This morning I am happy to announce the release of a stable version of SSAS Activity Viewer 2012. The build number is 220.127.116.11. The new features have been highlighted below in the release notes section.
SSASAV 2012 RoadMapNo, i don’t really have a roadmap, I’ve just got a few ideas jotted down in a notebook for features I plan to add sometime. I’ve got three weeks of over December, so I’m pencilling in a new release for January 2013. For the next release I intend to make 2 additions:
1. Add Blocked Queries Panel- Essentially what SSASAV 2012 does is connect to the instance of SSAS provided and runs a bunch of DMV’s and returns the data in a grid. Not all of the DMV’s are returned, and it is my plan for the next release to add a panel which runs the DMV to show all blocked queries.
2. Formatting the Data Returned- When the data is returned from the DMV query, the data is presented in its raw format. Formatting it is a manual task for each column returned. As it makes it easier to read I am going to format as many of the columns I can into something legible for end users.
SSASAV 2012 is Looking for VolunteeersI’ve got a few more ideas to add to the project, but if you have any ideas, or want to be a developer on the project, let me know and I’ll gladly consider adding you. I’m not looking for l33t devs here; anyone who has a few ideas and isn’t afraid to do a bit of Googling/Binging/Yahooing to get it done is more than welcome to contribute. Latest source code (including all features in the current release) can be downloaded from this link here.
- Formatted KB and TIME based cells for ease of reading.
- Ability to copy/save query as hard to read long queries in cells.
- Tidied up UI and added cleaner icon
- Shared changes for Dormant and Current Query Panel:
- added right click … save to current and dormant queries to save command as ssas query type file or option to save as any file
- Dormant Panel Changes
- increased DORMANT_QUERY_SESSIONS returned from 10 up to 25
- formatted SESSION_IDLE_TIME_MS column in dormant panel to HH:MM:SS:MS
- formatted SESSION_USED_MEMORY to KB
- Current Queries Panel Changes
- formatted COMMAND_READ and COMMAND_WRITE to KB
- formatted ELAPSED_TIME and COMMAND_CPU_TIME_MS time to HH:MM:SS:MS
- CPU Panel Changes
- formatted SESSION_ELAPSED_TIME_MS, SESSION_LAST_COMMAND_CPU_TIME_MS, SESSION_CPU_TIME_MS to HH:MM:SS:MS
- IO Panel Changes
- formatted SESSION_READ_KB, SESSION_WRITE_KB to KB
- Straightened up the UI
- Current queries list refreshed after query is cancelled; sometimes it takes longer for the query to cancel than the refresh to occur, so will sometimes stay on UI. Will fix in update.
- Right click the COMMAND TEXT cell allows you to copy the COMMAND TEXT to clipboard, so that you can copy and paste command to text documents or xmla /mdx windows to execute as reading long list can be awkward
- Added SESSION_LAST_COMMAND from $system.DISCOVER_SESSIONS DMV to Dormant Query Panel
- Added Copy SESSION_LAST_COMMAND to Dormant Query Panel
- Disabled Cancel/Refresh buttons on Dormant Query Panel and Current Query Panel when user has clicked refresh.
- Updated icon